The file "src" could not be opened

I don’t know what I did now. I don’t think I did anything. The play.js app crashed, and now my app won’t load. It shows this message…

I had just made a break-thru on my app, when this happened. Damn. I couldn’t even commit my changes! I don’t know what I do to make it crash, but this time, my source code won’t load.

Looks like the src directory got corrupted.

Ok, I have recovered my code. I have a work around! If you have a project, and it’s connected to git (and a remote), AND you get this “can’t open src” message, here’s what worked for me.

1. On the iPad, find the directory where your code is at, and compress the project directory. This will create a zip file that will zip ALL FILES, even the hidden ones.

2. Copy that zip to a PC. I use Dropbox.

3. On the PC, unzip all the files.

4. In a terminal on the pc, navigate to the directory. Git should work properly. Commit, and push to your remote repo (if you have that setup)

5. Now that your code is up in your repo (Mine is on bitbucket), go to the iPad and load Play.js.

6. rename or delete the old app that’s failing.

7. Create a “new” app on app.js. Select the name and type of app it is, then check the “clone from git repo” checkbox, and put in your git settings…

8. Boom, your app is back! AND I didn’t lose any changes.

Hope this helps somebody who may be dealing with the same issues.

Thanks!

• Darrel

Hi @Raydred :wave:

I’m really sorry for the inconvenience. I’ve come across this issue in projects where the sources directory is open in place (this is the sources are outside the play.js documents directory). Could you confirm that was also the case in your project?

Thank you for reporting :slightly_smiling_face:

This sounds very similar, but I can’t be certain it’s exactly my issue. Using that work around I wrote, it got everything back (Because no code was really in jeopardy)… If It happens again, I’ll try to remember the steps.

Thanks for everything. You’re awesome and Hope you find my reporting ok. =)
Let me know when me posting so much isn’t helpful.

• Darrel

Hi @Raydred :wave:

Thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot!

I’ve fixed an issue related with this. I hope it solves your problem too.