Node.js modules

For now, using Node.js modules require some preparation with a laptop. You can use browserify --bare to squash all the dependencies into a file.

Open this deeplink on Safari to see an example:

playdotjs://28816c75

More context here.

0 Likes

I’m getting an error when using the app url. The error says “Object bundles/28816c75| does not exist”.

0 Likes

The link had a typo, try with playdotjs://28816c75 please :pray:

0 Likes

Working now. Thanks for the quick response.

0 Likes

Native node modules support is number one on my wish list. I’d prefer to not use my computer. But this is still excellent, and I appreciate all your hard work.

1 Like

Hi mrbianhinton :wave:

I’ve just released play.js that simplifies working with dependencies among other things :slight_smile:

1 Like

0 Likes

Thanks for flagging, huoxiangdong. The issue has been addressed, a fix will be out soon :blush:.

0 Likes

Consider adding pseudo-terminals to execute npm or something

3 Likes

I bundle koa but no luck

0 Likes

Hi Soydepr,

Can you please provide more details?

0 Likes

Perhaps is my misunderstanding inside the folder I did browserify index.js -o bundle.js. Then move bundle.hs to folder I expected my script to run but I get requiere error

0 Likes

To use modules you no longer need to use Browserify. Just declare your dependencies in package.json and tap on the “Play” button.

2 Likes

Is there anything we can do to mimic the npm run environment? I can add npm as a dependency but I cannot make it run :cry: Can anyone please :pray: share with us an example of something that has the ability to run a script from package.json?

0 Likes

Hi milotindragos :wave:

I’ve replied to your question here :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hey! I’m loving the concept of this App, but I have been unable to run my small webish node.js server app yet :sweat_smile:

I’m not sure if it’s because Play.js’s node version, because my experience developing node apps is limited, but I’m getting some errors with node_module WS (for WebSockets) that I don’t get on my workstation (Could it be because of an old ESXX version of Play.js, not recognizing that way of adding elements to an object, using ...objectName?)

?)

Any ideas? Thanks!

0 Likes

Not sure what node version we’re running, but the object spread definitely does not work. It looks like WS was recently updated to 7.0.0, this dropped support for Node 6…so you might need to go to WS@6.2.1

0 Likes

Hi all :wave:

We’ll be upgrading the embedded Node version to 10.13.0 soon. It’ll support the object spread operator among other new things. Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Hi all :wave:

play.js 1.7.0 has been shipped and it now runs Node.js 10.13.0. Some of the issues above mentioned should now be fixed.

Thanks all for reporting bugs :slightly_smiling_face:

0 Likes

Spread still does not appear to work in the latest app release. Simple example from http://kangax.github.io/compat-table/es2016plus/#test-object_rest/spread_properties is:

var spread = {b: 2, c: 3};
var O = {a: 1, ...spread};
return O !== spread && (O.a + O.b + O.c) === 6;

Result:

SyntaxError: Expected identifier, string or number
0 Likes